Would you like to volunteer with ECELAW?
ECELAW consists of a small team that includes dedicated Board members, committed staff, and passionate law students. Many hands make light work, and with so much work to be done to support progressive environmental laws and policies in Atlantic Canada, we are grateful when other community members throughout our region volunteer their time.
As a charitable law association, ECELAW needs supporters with legal training, but we also need support from others with non-legal training and skills. Pick the category that suits you best to see how you can help:
ECELAW could not do the work that it does without law students who are passionate about environmental law. Here are some of the ways in which law students make vital contributions to our work:
(1) through collaborations between ECELAW and the Environmental Law Students' Society at the Schulich School of Law;
(2) by volunteering as Pro Bono Students through Pro Bono Dalhousie;
(3) by taking the Environmental Law Placement course that is available through the Marine and Environmental Law Program at the Schulich School of Law;
(4) by participating in the Osgoode Environmental Justice and Sustainability Clinic at Osgoode Hall Law School;
(5) by securing summer internships through the Schulich Academic Excellence Fund for Internships at the Schulich School of Law; and
(6) through student employment opportunities funded by government programs and environmental grantmakers.
ECELAW's Board of Directors also includes two student positions, which are elected positions administered by the Environmental Law Students' Society at the Schulich School of Law.
If you are a law student with an interest in environmental law and would like to contribute to our work, contact us today!
ECELAW maintains an environmental law inquiry service, and through it we receive inquiries from individuals and groups throughout Atlantic Canada. ECELAW aims to provide legal information to those who need our support, and at times we may take on a more active role by providing legal advice or representation. If ECELAW is unable to assist an individual or group that asks for our help, we will refer them to an outside lawyer with environmental law experience.
We work to build strong relationships with private bar lawyers who are interested in environmental law. Reach out to us to begin the conversation.
Whether you are a paralegal, a retired lawyer, or a law school graduate who chose to pursue other paths, if you have legal research experience, ECELAW could use your help. We maintain a list of volunteers who are willing to be contacted with ad hoc research requests as opportunities arise. Let us know if you would like to be added to that list!
Although much of ECELAW's work requires legal training and experience, many of our projects involve tasks that could be performed by volunteers with other kinds of skills. We post those volunteer opportunities here as they arise. If you feel that your interests and experience make you suited to any of these opportunities, please get in touch!
Current Volunteer Opportunities
(1) Do you have strong editing skills? ECELAW needs a volunteer to review our web materials to check for typos and test our hyperlinks.
(2) Do you have expertise in graphics and design? ECELAW needs a volunteer to assist with the publication layout of workshop materials and other educational pieces.
(3) Do you have an interest in fundraising? ECELAW needs a volunteer to support members of the Board who are developing core fundraising materials.
(4) Do you have strong writing and presentation skills? ECELAW needs a volunteer to build an information package that will help us to raise public awareness of the work we do and the services we offer.