ECELAW is seeking a motivated individual with a passion for the environment and environmental justice to join our Board of Directors in the role of Treasurer. Full description below.
About the East Coast Environmental Law Association (ECELAW):
ECELAW is an environmental law charity. From our office in Halifax, we work throughout Atlantic Canada seeking a clean, healthy environment through public legal education, collaboration and legal action.
- At ECELAW we make environmental laws and legal options easy to understand for Atlantic Canadians fighting for environmental justice;
- We collaborate with local, regional and national groups to strengthen and improve environmental laws and ensure those laws are upheld; and
- We provide direct support to individuals, organizations and communities seeking to defend our environment through the law and legal action.
ECELAW provides information, education and research around environmental law to Atlantic Canadians by:
- Working with law students, hosting workshops, clinics, and panel presentations;
- Responding to inquiries from the public about environmental law issues; and
- Publishing open-access reports and environmental law case summaries on our website.
The Board of Directors meets roughly 6 times per year, on a bi-monthly schedule. Board meetings run approximately 1.5 hours. The Executive meets every 4 weeks, in person or by phone, for 1 hour.
Treasurer Position Description:
- Be an active Executive Member of the Board of Directors;
- Manage the financial reporting processes of the organization;
- Advise the Board on financial management and strategy of the organization;
- Prepare annual budget with input provided by the Executive Director;
- Prepare financial reports for each Board meeting;
- Prepare and present annual financial statements;
- Prepare and submit annual returns to the CRA; and
- Advise the Board on investments and banking.
Anticipated Treasurer Time Commitments:
- Monthly average of roughly 12-15 hours;
- ECELAW’s current Treasurer will provide guidance and additional support as needed.