ECELAW (East Coast Environmental Law) www.ecelaw.ca and NSEN are partnering to begin a discussion regarding an NS Environmental Bill of Rights on May 8th, 7 pm, at Veith House, 3115 Veith Street, Halifax.
Nova Scotia would benefit from legislation that does the following:
- imposes a legal duty upon the provincial government to protect Nova Scotians’ right to a healthy environment;
- improves access to environmental information;
- provides whistleblower protection for Nova Scotians who report environmental crimes;
- improves access to justice; and
- improves government accountability by giving Nova Scotians the right to bring the Province to court when it fails to implement its environmental laws.
90 countries have embraced the right to a healthy environment, and afford it the same legal protection as other core human rights like the right to liberty, security and equality. The time seems opportune to push for similar environmental protections in Nova Scotia given the recent legislative reviews and the announcement that Ecojustice has started a major environmental rights campaign.
PLEASE RSVP by May 1st by e-mailing Janelle: [email protected] or calling 902-454-6846 if you are able to attend in person or by conference call.